Lu and I made a batch today and I made a comment on Facebook about them. Rather than try to bake enough to feed all my friends, I’ll simply share my recipe.
Here it is…
¾ pound butter – at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar + 1 cup for dusting baked cookies
3 to 3½ cups flour
½ to ¾ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
½ tsp salt
2 pounds Hershey’s Kisses
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Cream the butter with electric mixer at medium speed.
3. Gradually add the powdered sugar to the creamed butter and beat until fluffy.
4. Gradually add the flour, chopped nuts, and salt and blend the mixture thoroughly.
(NOTE: Add about 3 cups of the flour and ½ cup of the finely chopped nuts. If the mixture is not too gooey, stop there. If the mixture is too gooey to roll in your hands to make a ball, add the additional flour and nuts.)
5. Take about 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture and roll it around 1 (unwrapped) Hershey’s Kiss. There should be just enough cookie dough to cover the kiss.
6. Roll the kiss and dough in your hands to form a small ball. (Roll the dough and kiss between your palms as you would to make a ball of mud or clay.)
7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about ½ inch apart.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes – until bottoms of cookies are light golden brown.
9. Place cookies on cooling rack for about 5 or 10 minutes.
10. Roll in powdered sugar.
11. Eat any Hershey’s kisses left over.